Tuesday, April 2, 2019

OUTRIGHT CON



Pictures by BENJOSTORY.COM

Waiting, waiting, waiting, in this hot Kisumu sun that now reads 29˚c according to my android, waiting for one honorable ng’anene, with my black lada, rubers from the words of my people, which are now roasting my size 43 feet. One hour later of trying all the human postures showing am relentlessly out of patience and by now I can do an advert of the products advertised along Varsity way, Jameson- Triple Distilled Twice as Smooth, UAP – Better Simple Life. I almost forget how tired, upset and dehydrated am getting.

I can’t take it no more, I chuck a boda from varsity way head to United Mall, just behind it are streets that lead to the legendary Mama Hassan, next to me is a plate of one of her delicious coasto viazi karai “bhajia”. Getting good Swahili dishes in Kisumu is a hustle but highly recommending Swahili Dishes Kisumu and Mama Hassan, once in a while when I get homesick I go for a biryani, pilau or the bhajia.

After am done with my meal that’s cost 50/=, I sit glaring at the handful people either eating or gossiping, I notice that this place that normally flocks is very empty, all the high-schoolers and varsity students are nowhere in sight, utajuaje ni week ya exam, then I get a message from an unknown number.
 “Dear applicant, I am glad to inform you that you qualified to work with KNBS following your application. Kindly check this link for more information (http://tiny.cc/n6wx3y) and comply with our requirement before 12:00 Noon tomorrow. Thanks.”
Being the unemployed Kenyan I am, I am obviously excited by the words dear applicant I am glad……. clicked the link it directs me to a site, one KNBS ENUMERATOR JOBS 2019, walahi am excited the way I heard those jobs pay, I already start picturing me getting a new pair or a new hair-do. The site has details this seems legit, I read through to regards by one Dr Kabongah and nod, the Dr name sales the deal, filling the last details I notice a request for payment at the end (scum alert), I go back read the whole thing word for word.
“Your medical assessment costs KES 5,400. The organization shall pay for you KES 2,700 (half the cost). You are supposed to pay the remaining KES 2,700. You are therefore required to pay KES 950 either to our Nakuru branch office situated on 2nd Floor, AFC Nakuru town or send through MPESA to 0759393382 (Safaricom line) -Denis Mwangi (Supervisor).”
Pictures by BENJOSTORY.COM










At this point I am utterly shocked and mind blown.
“This payment must be done by latest 2nd April, 2019 (Tuesday) at 12:00 Noon. The remaining KES 1,750 shall be deducted directly from your first salary. This partial payment will secure you a chance for medical assessment and must be done within the time frame allocated. Please note that this exercise is coordinated only at our Nakuru branch offices and not at the headquarters. If you pay through MPESA you shall immediately receive a scanned receipt in out email for the payment.” 
OUTRIGHT CON
Scum! Scum! Scum!
To anyone whose experiencing this or has received such messages, I denounce them. Yaani sisi the ordinary mwananchi having helb officers looking for us to now joint forces of Tala, Branch and Fuliza, then a fellow Kenyan or say two or three want to fish the little out of you. How many people have they targeted so far with that scheme of KES 950 and KES 2,700.
Then I remember early Monday morning, busy hearing the children from Kings and Queens Academy sing the national anthem, while seeing my neighbor run out of his house late again, Mse ni Monday, I get this call from one Michael Wandira who claims to be a journalist at Nation Media Group and heard that I was a communication student and that there was an opportunity for me, he’d call back in 30 minutes. That day my voice was as smooth as the voice over artists at NRG Radio, finally my breakthrough, the guy call says he’ll connect me with his boss. Aaaahhh am like oooh okay cool, anyway ain’t the Kenyan job market about connections. Me and my mouth I text my good friend Mavo whose an intern at the supposed same NTV, tell him of the great news he’s happy but reluctant asks me who recommended me to the journalist, I tell his friend Mr. X, huyo ni mse wa “booty call” he laughs.
Pictures by BENJOSTORY.COM
The conversation about my opportunity goes on for hours until they ask for my CV and Cover letter, I comply send it to the email they sent me, now apparently they inform me its not NMG but an NGO called Life and Hope International Kenya, now my bells ring, I go back to Mavo tell him to drop everything and head to NMG human resource who denounce knowing such people, on this other side, they notify me it is possible am a highly qualified candidate but being an NGO I need to register in the NGOs Board of Kenya and it required an amount of KES 4,800, see one thing about today is that technology has made things easier, I didn’t have to tie a note to a bird to get the information I needed.
I got on phone texted one of the best PROs of Kenya and he sent me the number of NGOS Coordination Board of Kenya, because of continuous crimes I will leave it here +254 202214044, spoke to a lady from the offices and all that I heard were;
 "OUTRIGHT CON"
Now I honestly have heard cases where people were conned to their last bits and all I can say today is we have to stay woke, be on the constant look out for such crimes and not easily fall victim to these schemes.
 Just saying, what happened to the mwananchi earning his or her own hard work money, we have to be on the know con is real from business, to our politicians even the relationships we value. Lets not fall victim of outright con.
 
 

12 comments:

  1. Lmfao...kenya is definitely the home of conmen... It is literally the place where the best conmen assemble and I'm sure everyone will have a story to share, thanks for sharing yours as it helps us to avoid the same, once you get conned once in your life (better earlier than later) it becomes easier to avoid it happening again 😊 Good read kiddo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrible experience. That's what life in Kenya has become We must live by it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice piece Annette, you are challenging me to writeπŸ˜„

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feel free to share your stories it might be much but creating awareness on such I'll schemes can help an innocent citizen from losing their hard earned money

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, im loving the article. Both informative and educative. Conamanship seems to be a way of life. These con artists lurk in every corner looking to take advantage of our ignorance and swindle innocent Kenyans out of their hard earned cash. The closest I came to contact with scammers is 'PublicLikes in 2017'.Luckily, I broke even before they ran away with millions from unsuspecting fellows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🀣🀣🀣 i was a victim of public likes

      Delete
    2. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ wewe pia.
      Pole

      Delete
  6. Wooow... I was reading for exams untill I saw this. These conmen are everywhere aki.there is another website called boldcashers,alafu sijui special bizz connect... I blame the government for not creating job opportunities so that youths cannot fall into this Scam!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mama Hassan brought me here,nice piece fam😁😁

    ReplyDelete

Green Lights

                                         Written by Annette Achieng and Marvin Lukulu Red lights, green lights, blue lights. . all of ...